Garbage Disposal Repair Cost in Phoenix
January 12, 2021
If your garbage disposal is broken or damaged, you’re likely wondering how much it will cost to have it repaired by a professional.
The cost of garbage disposal repair can range from $200 to $900, with the average being about $250.
This price point can vary depending on a variety of factors, but some of the most common include:
- Age of your garbage disposal
- Part or parts that are damaged
- Validity of warranties
- Plumber you hire
Although only a professional plumber will be able to give you a precise quote for your garbage disposal repair, we’ll dive a little deeper into each of these cost factors below to help you estimate how much the repair might cost. Want a professional estimate for your garbage disposal repair? No problem. We provide a flat-rate price upfront so you won’t be blindsided by any surprises on your bill.
Cost factor #1: Age of your garbage disposal
If your garbage disposal is between 8 and 15 years old, it may not be worth the cost of a repair.
Certain garbage disposal issues, like clogs, are typically easy to fix. However, other issues, like leaks, are usually caused by a broken seal or some other part that has worn down over time.
If your disposal is over 8 years old, it’s probably more cost effective to just replace your entire disposal rather than pay to repair the damaged part or parts. Although a replacement will cost more than a repair would upfront, doing so may save you valuable time and money down the road.
This is especially true if you’ve been experiencing frequent garbage disposal issues or breakdowns. That alone may be enough to warrant the purchase and installation of a new unit.
Cost factor #2: Part or parts that are damaged
Certain garbage disposal parts will cost more than others to repair or replace.
After a plumber inspects your garbage disposal, they can tell you exactly what’s wrong with it and explain which part or parts will need to be repaired or replaced.
Here are two different scenarios and their potential costs:
- Clogged garbage disposal: If your garbage disposal is humming and not removing waste, or it’s not making any noise at all when you turn it on, you’re probably dealing with a clogged disposal. This typically means there’s no damage to the garbage disposal, it just needs to be cleaned out and reset. This usually costs about $150-$200.
- Leaking garbage disposal: If your garbage disposal is leaking, it’s likely due to an old seal. It may cost anywhere from $150-$400 to repair or replace the old seal. But as mentioned above, it may be better to replace the garbage disposal entirely at this point.
You’ll also want to consider that the longer a repair takes, the more you may pay for labor. That said, it’s advantageous to choose a plumber that charges a flat-rate instead of by the hour.
Cost factor #3: Validity of warranties
If your garbage disposal is under warranty, it may reduce the cost of a repair.
Your garbage disposal may be covered by two types of warranties:
- A labor warranty: This warranty is provided by the plumber who installed your garbage disposal. It covers any mistakes that may have been made during the installation process. These warranties usually last 1-2 years following the installation of the garbage disposal.
A manufacturer’s warranty: Many garbage disposals come with a limited warranty that covers the cost of repairing or replacing any defective parts. These warranties usually last 1-10 years, depending on the manufacturer.
To check whether your labor warranty is still valid, you’ll want to contact the plumber who installed it. Likewise, to check if your manufacturer’s warranty is still valid, you should contact your garbage disposal’s manufacturer directly or visit the manufacturer’s website for details on how to verify a warranty.
Cost factor #4: Plumber you hire
Generally, the more experienced and qualified a plumber is, the more a garbage disposal repair will cost.
A less experienced plumber may charge less for a garbage disposal repair, but they are less likely to provide high-quality work. For most homeowners, it’s well worth the extra cost to have the repair done correctly the first time.
To find an experienced professional plumber, here’s what you should look for:
- Arizona license and insurance
- Excellent references/reviews
- Repair guarantees and warranties
- Upfront pricing and written estimates for repair costs
- Several years of professional experience
Need a professional to repair your garbage disposal? Call Patrick Riley
Need your garbage disposal repaired by a team of pros you can trust? Call Patrick Riley.
Our polite and professional technicians will fix the problem right away and provide upfront pricing. We also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you’re not happy with the repair job, we’ll come back and do it again at no cost to you.
Get 10% off (Up to $150)
Ty Lindsay is the Director of Field Operations at Patrick Riley | Isley’s and a 15-year veteran of the plumbing and HVAC trades. In 2010, Ty earned his Journeyman’s plumbing license. He became a Master Plumber five years later and earned his Journeyman HVAC technician’s license that same year. Ty’s breadth of knowledge in plumbing and HVAC includes both residential and commercial work. He’s been a loyal member of the Patrick Riley | Isley’s team since 2016.