Why Should You Install a Smart Thermostat?
November 18, 2021
Since their first release in 2011, smart thermostats have exploded in popularity. When it’s time to upgrade your thermostat, you might be wondering if a smart thermostat is a good choice for you? In most cases, yes.
Smart thermostats, or connected thermostats, are WiFi-enabled and can wirelessly control the heating and cooling in your home. A smart thermostat is an excellent option for most homeowners because:
- It will save you money on your monthly energy bills
- It will give you increased flexibility
- It will help you maintain your HVAC system
Keep reading to find out why a smart thermostat can be the right choice for your Phoenix home.
Already ready to take the leap? Get started with a free price estimate from Patrick Riley today!
Monthly Energy Bill Savings
Some consumers might be hesitant to buy a smart thermostat because of the initial price tag, which is higher than the price for a programmable thermostat.
However, smart thermostats save you money in the long run. For example, in a study done by Nest, their smart thermostat saved consumers an average of 10–12% on heating costs and up to 15% on cooling costs.
Installing a smart thermostat can save you money in a couple of different ways:
- It collects data regarding your energy usage. With a few taps of your fingers, you can open up a smartphone app and obtain a wealth of information about your HVAC system. The thermostat then uses this data to identify times you might be wasting energy (for example, when you are away from home or at work) and adjusts accordingly, saving you money—and you don't have to program it manually.
- It lets you take advantage of the incentives many energy service providers offer for reducing energy usage during peak hours. For example, in Arizona, APS offers customers credit towards energy bills if they agree to allow the company to increase their thermostat temperature during peak hours occasionally. Many service providers also offer rebates for switching to a smart thermostat.
- It’s adjustable no matter where you are. Because smart thermostats connect to the internet, you can adjust them even when you aren't at home. We’ve all experienced the frustration of getting to the airport before a long vacation and realizing you left on your AC. When you have a smart thermostat, this isn’t a problem at all—your thermostat can be adjusted remotely from your phone, preventing you from wasting money and energy on heating or cooling your home while you’re away.
Programmable thermostats require that you maintain a pretty rigid schedule to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. Meanwhile, with a smart thermostat, you have the flexibility to change plans without wasting money heating or cooling your home while you’re not there.
Instead of adjusting the temperature of your home solely based on the time of day, many smart thermostats use geofencing technology, which adjusts the temperature of your home as you approach it.
Additionally, smart thermostats are, well, smart. So over time, they learn about your habits and preferences and automatically adjust to energy-saving temperatures.
HVAC System Maintenance Alerts
A smart thermostat alone will not keep your HVAC system running in tip-top shape, but it can help remind you when it’s time to get maintenance or alert you if issues arise.
While the features vary depending on which smart thermostat you install, they can alert you when it’s time to change your air filter or when your HVAC system is behaving unusually. While you should still contact a professional technician to investigate any potential issues, a smart thermostat’s alert system can help you catch issues before they develop into serious problems.
Ready to make the switch to a smart thermostat? Contact Patrick Riley.
Patrick Riley’s professional technicians are here to help you decide which smart thermostat is the best for your home. Schedule an estimate today to get the process started!
Get 10% off (Up to $150)